Protecting Hawaii's families and businesses since 1939, Island Insurance is the first and only Hawaii-based company to be recognized as one of the Top 50 Property & Casualty (P&C) Insurance companies in the nation by the Ward Group for 12 consecutive years. As the state's largest locally-owned and managed P&C insurance company, Island Insurance holds financial strength ratings of "A" (Excellent) by A.M. Best, one of the world's oldest and most authoritative insurance company financial ratings organizations, and has been recognized as one of Hawaii’s Best Places to Work for 13 consecutive years!
The Underwriter - CL is primarily responsible for the complete underwriting process – selection, evaluation and pricing of commercial Property & Casualty business. This position is also accountable for building and maintaining business relationships within their respective agency group.
• Evaluate, select, classify, and rate each risk; establish the standards of coverage and amount of protection to be offered.
• Adequately price and sell/retain acceptable profitable risks.
• Maintain a current knowledge of Corporate, regulatory, competitive, and territorial changes in all lines of business.
• Analyze book of business and recommend improvements in underwriting and marketing within assigned territory/agencies.
• Maintain positive agency relations through regular visitation and by responding to the agencies’ needs in a professional and expeditious manner.
• Bachelor’s degree required; advance degree preferred.
• 1 to 2 years commercial lines property and casualty underwriting technical experience required; previous sales experience preferred.
• Equivalent education, experience, and training will be considered.
• Continuing education in insurance and job related issues and subjects required.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
• Valid Hawaii Driver’s license.
• Attainment of or working toward CPCU or other professional designation(s) preferred.