Kitchen Fire Safety - Island Insurance | Island Insurance

Kitchen Fire Safety

The Honolulu Fire Department reports cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Most cooking equipment fires start with the ignition of common household items such as food or grease, paper or plastic bags and curtains.

  • If there is a microwave fire, keep the door closed and unplug the microwave. Call the fire department and make sure you have the oven serviced before you use it again. Food cooked in a microwave can be dangerously hot, remove the lids or other coverings from microwaved items carefully to prevent steam burns.
  • When cooking on the stovetop, always keep an oven mitt and a lid nearby. If a small fire starts in a pan on the stove, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner and do not remove the lid until it is completely cool. Never pour water on a grease fire and never discharge a fire extinguisher onto a pan fire, as it can spray or shoot burning grease around the kitchen and spread the fire.
  • If there is an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you and your clothing.